By: Max and Thomas
Hopefully we all have been staying home and staying safe during this Coronavirus craziness! I don’t know about you, but boredom does not suit me well, so I have been attempting to learn some new skills while I am locked up at home. After little success with painting, I decided to try something that the rest of my family could do very well: cooking. Unfortunately, the extent of my cooking experience entailed toaster waffles and microwaved oatmeal, so I needed some help from the internet. Throughout the last two and half months I have been practicing some very simple recipes that I think could inspire some of you to start cooking! So from one amature chef to another, here are three easy recipes to help make quarantine fun.
Breakfast: American Style Omelette – The omelette has unlimited potential for flavour and can be a quick and easy meal to make.
- 2-3 Eggs
- Optional Toppings: Onions, Bacon, Ham, Peppers, Tomatoes
- Crack 3 (or 2) eggs into a bowl and whisk thoroughly until the texture is the same throughout
- Add a pinch of salt and 3 drops of cold water
- Turn pan onto low heat and add small scoop of butter
- Wait until butter melts and then add all eggs
- After 1-2 minutes, add cheese and continue adding toppings if wanted
- Wait until edges begin to firm and when lifted from pan it stays together
- The top of the omelette should be soft, but no liquid. The bottom should be yellow with some crispy brown spots
- Fold omelette in half by flipping one side onto the other
- Leave in the pan for 1 minute.
- Serve directly onto the plate and enjoy!
Lunch: Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich (BLTs) – The BLT is an easy meal that tastes amazing and is best when there is some left over bacon from breakfast!
- White or Wheat bread (normal cut loaf)
- Tomatoes (large, not cherry tomatoes)
- Butter & Mayo
- Toast bread until golden (depends on how crispy you would like your bread, I like it soft, so I don’t toast it as long)
- Butter both slices of bread
- Add mayo if you want
- Layer toppings
- Lettuce on the bottom, tomato in the middle and bacon on the top
- Cut sandwich diagonally and enjoy!
Dinner: Cobb Salad Variation – The Cobb Salad is a classic meal which gives you everything you need in one meal, but if you mix it up a little, it can turn into a fun, easy meal that can change every time you make it!
- Lettuce – Romaine, Iceberg, any type you want
- Dressing – Any type
- Optional Toppings: Boiled Egg, Chicken, Bacon, Croutons, Cheese (shredded mozzarella, goat, blue, feta), Avocado, Tomato
- Boil eggs (if wanted)
- Wash Lettuce
- Place into bowl – the bowl becomes the mixing bowl for the salad
- One ingredient at a time, throw them into the bowl
- Dress the salad with prefered dressing
- Place a plate or flat object on top of bowl and shake thoroughly
- Make some changes every time you make it and perfect it as you go!
I hope that these recipes can help ease the boredom of quarantine and maybe even make it a little fun! Enjoy!